Froggy Girl Designs

A glimpse into my daily life of crafting, frugal living, and being a mom!

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Cool Ties-Crafting for Our Troops

As you all know, my husband is in the Army. Well, he trains soldiers who are leaving for Iraq. This means he and the rest of his unit spend 12-15 hours a day out in the heat in full uniform. The heat index in our area has been reaching 110 degrees on some days (ack!), so they've had numerous guys suffering from heat stroke. I'd heard talk of cool ties around the web, and finally took the time to hunt down the instructions. They call for polymer granules, which I had a bit of a hard time finding, but come to find out, they are used in gardening. The brand name I finally found was SoilMoist, and I had to go to a local nursery to get it-it wasn't available at Walmart or Home Depot, etc. that I could find.

A few months ago, I had found some fabric on the Wal-Mart $1 table that was nylon and printed with the ACU print of the military issue uniforms, and I had picked some up thinking I'd find something neat to do with it. I used it for this project, so it blends in well with their uniforms. These are really easy to do, and there are a bunch of different websites out there with instructions. I'm working on customizing the directions to allow for different lengths, I also put Velcro on these so they will lay flat and don't need to be tied.

I'm hoping to eventually offer these for customization and also in my Etsy shop for those of us who spend a lot of time working outdoors in the heat-they are great for construction workers, lawncare workers, UPS drivers and the like. But, for now, these serve their purpose perfectly!

5 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Barb Mcf said…

    Love your idea for the Cool Ties. About a month ago, I sent a "goodie box" to our nephew in Afghanistan. One of the items in it was about a dozen cool-ties that I had made with a mottled tan fabric. Last year I made some out of black and white checks for some friends to use at the race track. You did a good job on them.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Mika said…

    Thanks Barb! If anyone else wants to make these for troops, especially serving overseas-remember to make them in either tan or camo fabric. Snipers look for anything "different" to aim at so keep that in mind. Not to be a downer, but it's the truth of it.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Betty J in OKC said…

    www.thehugsproject.com requires ONLY cotton for the cool-ties. Any other fabric melts if the soldiers are injured by a bomb. Cotton fabric just turns to ash.

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger lera said…

    Woo-Hoo for the Army! My husband is in the Army, too.

    I made some neck coolers a few months back for my boys during cub scout camp.

    AND, I bought some of that same camo fabric on clearance at Walmart like a year ago!

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Mika said…

    Ya Lera! I read your blog ALL the time, so I saw a few pics of him in uniform. Thanks for stopping by!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home