Froggy Girl Designs

A glimpse into my daily life of crafting, frugal living, and being a mom!

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Vintage fabric score!

I hit a yard sale Friday with a dollar on my person, and my mom in tow (we were on our way back to her place after a breakfast out). First thing I saw were some beautiful hand embroidered linens-three to be exact. Mom was busy looking at some Coca-Cola items for my grandfather who collects them. Mom and I approached the man running the sale at the same time. She bargained him down on an airplane still in the box, I asked him if he'd take a dollar for all three linens. He said yes!

Well, on the way to the table he was sitting at, I spotted an 18 gallon tub of fabric pieces that looked vintage, that was being sorted through by another woman. My heart just sunk...because I wanted it, I had no cash on me to speak of (I wasn't looking for yard sales so hadn't stopped at the bank!), and I knew the other woman would take it all if she was a sewer. Well, mom asked the man if he would take a check being that she lived about 4 houses away and also had no cash, and he said yes. Let me say here that writing checks at yard sales is a rarity for anyone, or should be anyway-generally you don't know the person and who's to say the money is actually in the account? My parents live in an extremely small town though and everyone knows everyone (ya, one of those). My gears started turning. I asked him how much he was asking for the whole tub of fabric. He said..$20!!!!


I said, well, the other lady over there is taking some out of it, so how about $10? We walked over to it and he asked the other woman if she was interested in it, and she said, oh just these pieces. He told her it was an all or nothing type thing, so she walked away. I said, ok, since she didn't take any, how about $15? He took it, and my mom just added it onto her check. This is SO awesome. Take a look at what all I got:

Grandmothers Flower Garden Top: There were also about 15 other completed blocks in a baggie.

I don't know the name of this pattern, but it's awesome. This one is in very rough shape, but I'm going to cut out the blocks I can save and reset them. It's about a queen/king size!

Just a few of the gorgeous fabrics. Most of the pieces are half yard cuts or larger, but there are lots of "scrap" pieces as well. This was so worth the $15! There was also another quilt top in there that I'll post photos of another time.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Barb Mcf said…

    Wow, what a find. Love the linens but that tub of fabric is great. The star blocks look like the Lemoyne Star pattern.

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Mika said…

    Oh I know! I haven't even made a dent in it yet with taking out the tops, it's still FULL. I've gotten a little washed and ironed, even made a pincushion out of some of the feedsack prints. It's so awesome! Lemoyne Star-that fits perfectly..I totally couldn't think of the name. Thanks Barb!!!

     
  • At 3:25 AM, Blogger Helen in the UK said…

    WOW!!! That box of fabrics is such a great find. Must have been meant for you to find it. Enjoy :)

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Betty J in OKC said…

    GREAT find!!! The small strippy scraps can be turned into Sunshine and Shadows, with a muslin HST to show off your old fabrics. :) The Heartstrings group has pics of string quilts they've made from small strips too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home