Froggy Girl Designs

A glimpse into my daily life of crafting, frugal living, and being a mom!

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mastering the Pencil Roll


What, more crafting you say? Why yes I have been thank you very much!

I'm really trying to push myself to get some things out of my head and into fabric. I tried to find a pattern online for a pencil roll for a birthday gift for a friends' little girl with no luck. I found where someone had mentioned very basic dimensions, so I took those and started tweaking. The initial design I wanted to do isn't perfect yet, but will be with some more tweaking. It's not something I've seen done in blog-land as of yet, even though pencil rolls are ever popular. I used fusible fleece for the interfacing on mine as opposed to traditional batting for a little less poof, but still some stability. As you can see I also quilted the lines all the way up for a bit more visual interest and stability.
The aforementioned little girl loves some butterflies, so I took two colorways of the same print for this. I LOVE the way it turned out and I so hope she does too! I attached the ribbon to the back fabric and triple sewed it for strength, then later noticed most of the time people actually attach the ribbon in the side seam. Does anyone know if that would be stronger? I definitely want these to be sturdy for little hands! I also tied a loose knot with the ribbon since she hasn't mastered bows yet. I love these, and can't wait to make more!!!! The matching crayon roll is just a shortened version of the pencil roll. Does anyone have anymore great ideas for quick crafts to do like this? I'm always willing to try new things.
Oh, and another question for my lovely readers. I want to use snaps! Does anyone have recommendations for me? Bobby has ok'd the purchase of a drill press so I have the option of using that with a set of dies and snaps, which would be more useful than just a snap press, but I've also seen the Snap Setter tools online. I've tried the hammer and tools trick with NO success, so that may be user error but I'm not thrilled in the least with that method. How do you set your snaps (if you use them!)?

3 Comments:

  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger lera said…

    I'm snap retarded. I've tried a lot of different kinds with different results.

    I put my pencil roll ties in the side seam. It works for me that way.

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Mika said…

    Oh Lera, I just had to laugh. I'm snap retarded to, but I'm determined to master it so I can make those cute little wallets with a snap closure!

    Do you think the side seam is stronger than the outside?

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger twoluvcats said…

    ooo i'm sooooooooo excited to get those & give them to HJK...she's going to LOOOOOOVE them!!

    Perfect fabric! & they look so durable & ready for a kid. :-)

    you rock sweetie!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home