Froggy Girl Designs

A glimpse into my daily life of crafting, frugal living, and being a mom!

Monday, October 08, 2007

Another wonderful giveway! *LONG*

Crystal over at Biblical Womanhood is giving away 10 TEN copies of a book that I really want. I don't talk about my faith here really, I feel that religion is something very private and personal. I'm going to talk about it a little bit in accordance with this give away, but will probably speak about it a little more at a later date. *Note: this is turning out longer than I intended...I have a point, promise!
I was born and raised a Lutheran. Went to church every Sunday, parochial schools, all of it. I HATED the schools I went to. I never fit in, was always made fun of, etc. And then, I started "living life". At the age of 12 I was raped, at the age of 18 I married a man who was a complete monster and who belittled me and beat me at every opportunity. Those are my two biggies. I'm not saying those to garner sympathy, far from it, just as a matter of reference.
The first event is what really started me questioning my faith-why would God let that happen to me? I didn't tell my parents it had even happened for 5 years, so I couldn't go to them for the spiritual guidance I so desperately needed. It started a downward spiral in my life that continued until after my first husband divorced me. Then I had a house fire.
I was 3 months pregnant with my now 3 year old son. I was single, he was being born out of wedlock, and I also had two other small children to raise. I was lost. The fire occured on a Sunday morning at 6 am. I lost everything but my 3 beautiful boys and their blankies, as well as the pajamas on our backs. Once everything had settled and I was deemed ok by the doctors, it was almost 9 am. I felt a huge need to go to my childhood church. The service started at 10. Just enough time to go with my parents to their home, change into borrowed clothes from my mother and make the first hymn. I sat there that day, covered in soot, with tears streaming down my face-wondering what I was doing with my life, where I was supposed to be heading and what direction God wanted me to take. I prayed that day for the first time in I don't even know how long. I didn't pray for a house, or "things", I prayed for direction. I prayed that God would show me the path he had in mind for me.
Fast forward to a little more than 2 years later. I met my husband. At first glance, you wouldn't think he's the religious type, doesn't go to church every Sunday, he curses, he's not perfect. But he was raised with a grandfather who was a preacher and his reasoning for not going to church-because he feels like a hypocrite. He's lost his way as well. He has faith in his heart, but his-like mine, is hidden by years of discontent, mistreatment, and lack of guidance. Over the last 2 1/2 years since we met, we are both slowly finding our way back. I say slowly, because it's almost...embarassment? I'm ashamed to say, that keeps us from letting it all out. Even now, posting this, I think..well I can just delete it. But...I don't think I will. I need my faith, I need to thank God for leading me to this life I have now where I am cherished and blessed beyond measure.
My point in this LENGTHY post (and thank you so much if you've gotten this far in my ramblings), is that finding the Biblical Womanhood blog really started opening my eyes. Showing me that there are women who live the life that deep in my heart I WANT to live. I want to be a helpmeet to my husband, and have been in my own way, since before Bobby and I even got married. But I want to do better, and more, and ANY hints and tips you other ladies may have are more than welcome in the comments or via email.
Now....Crystal is giving away 10 copies of the book 'Passionate Housewives: Desperate for God'. I NEED this book lol. I'm entering the giveaway of course, and if I don't win it, I will buy it and read it with Bobby. Thank you, again for reading this post if you've gotten this far. This is something that was VERY hard for me to post, and I sincerely hope you aren't annoyed or disenheartened that I posted a brief synopsis of my story. Now go over there and enter it yourself!

5 Comments:

  • At 5:23 AM, Blogger Crystal Paine said…

    Mika: Thank you for leaving your link on my blog and encouraging me to come over here and read it. I was so touched. May the Lord be praised if anything I've written or posted has been an encouragement to you! Hang in there and keep looking to Him - each step of the way!

    God bless you!

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    Mika,

    I loved this post - your brutal honesty. That is what God wants. He knows your heart... He knows when we are sliding and not where we should be. He knows when we hurt... when we are suffering..

    You have been through a lot. Like you I have been through a lot as well and I just pray as I go through things that God will use them to help others and I do find others that I can share with.

    God always has a plan - we just might not see it. I will pray for you as you continue your walk and discover all that God wants you to discover. He doesn't ask that you be perfect to come to church - otherwise none of us would be there :)

    I have also found that we all have sinful natures and God will allow us to beat some of those sinful natures when we and He are ready for it.

    Hang in there :) The book sounds just lovely! I am reading The Power of a Praying Wife right now. One day I will start going through the books on my bookshelf too :)

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger TMI Queen said…

    Here's how my pastor put it to me (and yes, I was raised in a strict WELS Lutheran home):

    "Jesus came to save the sinners, not the saints. If he'd come to save the saints, he'd have had no reason to come."

    The best part about salvation is that it can come at any time. Even for us "lapsed Christians". We're not hypocrites for admitting that we need a Savior to help us and save us from the horrible things we've done. The real hypocrites are the ones that think they're so good that they don't need to go or that they are good enough to get in on their own merit.

    Ephesians 2:8-9
    "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— NOT BY WORKS, so that no one can boast."

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger lera said…

    You've had a lot of trials in your life. I'm sure they have made you stronger.

    Keep your faith alive. It's what will keep you going.

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Mika said…

    Thanks so much for the support ladies I really appreciate it. It means alot to me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home