Froggy Girl Designs

A glimpse into my daily life of crafting, frugal living, and being a mom!

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Thrift Thursday

Yup, you read that right, I went thrifting again!!! FINALLY! I absolutely adore thrift stores, yard sales, etc. and the last few weeks I haven't been able to go due to family issues, baby issues, etc. Well, Monday I finally got to get out again. It was so nice, just me and the youngest, and for once he only mildly acted like a 3 year old lol. First we hit the St. Vinnie's for Quarter Day. Well, Mattie made out, he spotted some Thomas PJ's for $2, which made it into the cart of course. And Mommy picked up a few things for Ebay, total spent, $3. Not bad!



Next we hit the huge thrift in KY. They have 25% off on Mondays, so while they ARE overpriced on most things, I still found some bargains. I got these two awesome vintage Pyrex dishes. They, amazingly enough, were NOT way over priced, like much of the Pyrex I see here is. The smaller refrigerator dish was $1.01 (then minus the 25%), and the larger Crazy Daisy dish was $2.02 (again, minus 25%). I think that pricing was because it was covered in paint splotches, I believe someone used it as a brush cleaning dish. After some scrubbing though it looks wonderful! My mom has had a Crazy Daisy mixing bowl for as long as I can remember, and I've coveted it for a VERY long time. One day, it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine! Until then, I hunt for other pieces in that design. This is actually the reverse of the bowl mom has, hers has a green background with white daisies, but I love this just as much. The refrigerator dish (topless as it is!) is sitting on my sewing table to hold miscellaneous whatever I put in it (maybe chocolate for the preggo woman???). I have as yet, not decided whether the Crazy Daisy dish will be for display or useful purposes.



The other big score of the day at this place was the above fabric. Now, this place is GREAT to find notions, as I have scored in the past (and Monday) vintage bias tape, seam binding, ribbons, wooden thread spools, etc. for very reasonable prices. Their fabric tends to be polyester and unattractive lol. The prices aren't fall over dead great or anything, but these pieces are both right around a yard, and ended up costing $3 a piece. I didn't mind paying that because the one on the left is just super cute and my son was really excited about it. The one on the right I thought was cute, how surprised was I when I got home, unfolded it, and found it's Michael Miller! This stuff runs usually $8-$9 a yard at the local fabric store, when they even GET Michael Miller fabrics, so this is actually the first piece I've owned. I'm not sure how I'm going to use it yet, it screams BAG! to me, but seeing as how I've never made a bag, we'll see what happens.

One of my new favorite blogs, Sommer Designs, has a Thrifty Thursday Flickr group I joined. So much cool stuff on there! I'll be adding the button to my sidebar shortly so keep an eye out for that!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger twoluvcats said…

    ooo that purse fabric WOULD look great as a bag!! Try it!!

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi! love your progress with the blog, and your quilt. i have just started piecing my first one together. I made up the design myself. Anyway you would love the thrift store up here-it's in a small town and last week they were doing $4 the first bag the next three were free, that was on clothing, coats were $1. i too had not been thrifting in months and HAD TO GO!!! Boy it was a blast. Do you have any reletives up this way?

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had some of that Micheal Miller purse fabric once that I got at Micheal's of all places. I thought it would make a great bag, but unfortunately, I made a mistake and the bag ended up in the Goodwill pile. I hope you have a better outcome. I think it comes in pink as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home