Froggy Girl Designs

A glimpse into my daily life of crafting, frugal living, and being a mom!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Birth Part One

OK everyone, here goes...this will be a bit long, so sit back, relax, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy!

As you know from previous posts, this pregnancy has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride, from the complete joy of finding out we were pregnant, to the early complications, and on and on. The last 2 months of it were amazingly easy, although I obviously reached the "I don't wanna be pregnant anymore" stage around week 33 lol. At week 32 my doctor had me start coming in for weekly non-stress tests and biophysical profiles because Wyatt didn't think moving much was a fun thing to do. Well, his weight checks always came back well above average, so I was totally bracing myself for a 7-8 pound baby. We affectionately nicknamed him "Sumo Baby", because of my other children, my largest was 6.5 lbs at full term. My doctor scheduled my csection for 38 weeks and 1 day to make sure his lungs were mature and all that jazz.

A little bit of back story here....during my csection with Mattie (my now second youngest son), I had a panic attack. I don't know what exactly caused it, but my thoughts NOW are that I was just in a really bad place emotionally, I was stressed out, his father was nowhere around, and I was scared to death. Well, I was afraid going into this one that I would have another panic attack so I had discussed that with my doctor beforehand.

The night before the section, we dropped the kids off with some very excellent friends of ours who were going to keep them while I was in the hospital since my parents were at a seminar for my dad's job. The place where the seminar was being held happened to be Caeser's Indiana, which is about 10 miles from where we used to live (oh ya, we moved 3 weeks ago, but that's a whole 'nother post), and close to the hospital where I delivered. So we went and met my parents for dinner and a little gambling before we headed off to the hotel to relax for awhile until I had to be at the hospital in the morning. We of course were so excited and anxious we got NO sleep and ended up talking and just being together all night. That was one of the best parts, just remembering how much I love my husband and he loves me, and talking about this life we were getting ready to bring into the world.

I had to be at the hospital at 6am for pre-op stuff, so we got up at 5, got ready and headed over. They got all the paperwork done, IV in, all that jazz, and started giving me fluids. At 7:15 the anesthesiologist came in and she was so great. I had concerns about the type of medication given to me in my spinal due to reactions before of itching and major shaking. We agreed to go with a very low dose of medicine and if I needed more, then we would adjust, hoping that would prevent as severe a reaction as last time. They don't allow husbands in the OR while they are doing the spinal and cathetar, which was one of my major concerns (my husband is my rock, I draw so much strength from him even just being near me and supporting me). The anes. first had to fast pump a second bag of fluids into me. WOW-the saline was SO cold I felt like my arm was going to pop off! LOL! The nurse I had was really great, she talked to me throughout the spinal and made sure to keep my mind off the fact that Bobby wasn't in there yet. They let me know I'd be able to wear my glasses during the surgery so I could see the baby right away. That was new to me as I've been unable to do that during my other surgeries.

Another thing they didn't do which was cool, was to strap my arms down. Now you other csection mommas probably know that that is standard procedure so you don't manage to put your hands under the drape and contaminate the sterile surgical area. They told me as long as I didn't try to put my hands down there they wouldn't strap me down. It was SO nice to be able to touch my husband and move how I wanted to (within reason of course). I was teasing my doctor about cutting off the "c-section flap" as I've affectionately (ha ha) named the flap of skin on my lower belly that won't go away, and he said, well sure, we can do that! Well color me happy, the man gave me a mini tummy tuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once they had Wyatt out, they didn't hold him up for me to see right away...he had taken an extra second to cry (the most beautiful sound in the world as all you mommas know!), and when he finally did, he "gurgled" a bit, so they had to check him out carefully. It's really common for csection babies to have liquid in their lungs which can be a complication. He was fine, and within a few minutes the nurses brought him over for me to see.

According to my last ultrasound he was almost 7 lbs. (that was a week prior to my csection) so I fully expected him to be 7.5 pounds, but when they said he was only 6 lbs. 11 oz. I was surprised! He is still my biggest baby, but oh so tiny! After they cleaned him up, they handed him to Bobby and it was SO awesome watching that daddy/son love for the first time. Wyatt is Bobby's first child, and he was just overwhelmed with all the emotions he felt right away.

So there you have it, the birth of our gorgeous boy...Wyatt Reed Mosier.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home